Virginia Beach is a coastal city and a famous place for beach-goers due to its record-holding longest beach. The coastal city’s beauty does not only invite tourists over but also prospective residents. However, pests that are known to inhabit the state of Virginia are also common in the city. The many species of parasites that inhabit the area may negatively impact the influx of tourists, as well as prospective residents. Notably, many of these species are either harmful to humans or to properties, particularly structures that are made from wood.
Common Pests Found in Virginia Beach
Here are some of the most common pests found in Virginia Beach as well as its neighboring cities:
- Carpenter Ants
- Centipedes and Millipedes
- Fleas and Ticks
- Bees and Wasps
Although most of the species of the pests above do not directly harm humans, many of these pests destroy wooden structures. To educate further, below are some of the insect species that are directly harmful to humans.
Pests Directly Harmful to Humans
- Rodents – These critters carry diseases such as rabies, plagues, and disease-carrier parasites like fleas or ticks that can be transmitted to humans.
- Mosquitoes – Disease-carrying mosquitoes commonly cause malaria and dengue hemorrhagic virus.
- Bees and Wasps – Although these insects do not carry diseases, getting stung by them may cause allergic reactions in some people.
- Fleas and Ticks – Small but deadly pests. These pests carry serious illnesses including typhus, plague, and Lyme disease, which can affect the nervous system
Recently, there were numerous reports of sea lice that affected many swimmers in Virginia Beach. This pest causes bumps and rashes in afflicted swimmers. Despite the uptick in the number of cases, the effects of sea lice bites disappear quickly after rinsing.
Apart from pests that affect humans, a pest control company in Virginia Beach, VA frequently deals with highly destructive species. Most extermination operations are conducted in the city to flush out the following pests:
- Carpenter Ants – This ant species burrows and nests in wooden structures. With the growth of ant nests, the eventual damage to the affected structure also increases.
- Termites – Not as destructive as carpenter ants, because termites only nest and grow in damp wooden structures, which are mostly seen from neglected or poorly maintained homes.
- Rodents – Both mice and rats can destroy properties by gnawing on them. They typically tear electrical wires and cables.
Invasive Pest Species
Some species are either harmful to humans or structures, and some species exponentially multiply and effectively invade someone’s home. Some of these species are the following:
- Millipedes and Centipedes – These insects multiply fast and destroy crops.
- Rodents – Both mice and rats are mammals that give birth to hundreds of young a year. As mentioned above, these critters bring diseases and can also destroy properties.
- Cockroaches – Apart from being possible disease carriers, both the American and German cockroaches multiply and can cause contamination in the house.
A pest control company can help you in getting rid of any of the pests mentioned above. If you’re a prospective resident, a pest control company is also one of the first things you should look for once you have decided to settle in Virginia Beach because it will help you in preventing pests in the future.